Ecotourism-Greece.com is the largest and most comprehensive portal for ecotourism and alternative tourism in Greece. It targets visitors from abroad and highlights ecotourism activities that are increasingly in demand.
Businesses such as eco-friendly hotels, travel agencies, restaurants and shops can become members of the site and gain direct access to a large market – mainly Europeans and North Americans – that is looking for greener options and espouses responsible tourism. Accommodation facilities that have green certification or recognition are automatically entitled to join the Ecotourism Greece family. Other businesses may need to become greener, and can make use of our green consulting.
The advantages of becoming a member are:
1. Use of the Ecotourism-Greece.com Member logo which enhances its green profile.
2. A review written by our team of our profile that will appear on the portal, highlighting green activities around the property and green practices it espouses. The property profile features photos and an option for a video.
3. Promotion through the Ecotourism-Greece.com portal as well as through the Facebook page which has over 15,000 followers.
4. Improved branding and reputation of the property
5. Better ranking in Google thanks to SEO and the portal’s performance
6. Access to the latest digital Green Guide for Hospitality Businesses (in Greek) to advance the green profile of your business.
7. Easier integration into local and international green certification and recognition programs.
Despite the fact that tourism is a significant economic driver, it can also be quite damaging to the planet’s environment and peoples. Overtourism is a common problem in some “hot spots” where degradation caused by inflow can vastly overwhelm even the benefits of tourism revenue, especially when that revenue is not distributed equitably.International Ecotourism Society (TIES)
Ecotourism is now defined as responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and education. Education is meant to be inclusive of both staff and guests.UNESCO
All tourism activities of whatever motivation – holidays, business travel, conferences, adventure travel and ecotourism – need to be sustainable. Sustainable tourism is defined as “tourism that respects both local people and the traveller, cultural heritage and the environment”. It seeks to provide people with an exciting and educational holiday that is also of benefit to the people of the host country.UNWTO
When responsibly planned and managed, tourism has demonstrated its capacity to support job creation, promote inclusive social integration, protect natural and cultural heritage, conserve biodiversity, generate sustainable livelihoods and improve human wellbeing. As the sector is experiencing tremendous growth, collective efforts to ensure its long-term sustainability are essential.European Commission